Sunday, January 22, 2012

Weekend Extravaganza!

So, we've had a pretty nondescript week- work was normal and we stayed home every night. I made a few dinners but nothing fancy. Except for last week I accidentally grabbed Escarole at the grocery store instead of lettuce. It looks exactly the same as romaine lettuce- seriously.
Picture from potomac vegetable farms
And being the economical couple that we are- I decided I was going to try and prepare it into something edible.  If you've never tried escarole, its like endive. Raw, it has a little bit of a bitter taste and you are supposed to prepare it like you would collard greens to get rid of the bitter taste (I think). So I sauteed them in a little olive oil and tossed them with toasted pine nuts and Parmesan cheese and they were DELISH! oh yes i officially conquered those mystery greens. They taste a lot like spinach to me and I love spinach so it was a win-win: healthy and yummy!

We did have a little bit of a Kane scare during the earlier part of the week. After Jason left Kane started to mope around in obvious pain. He had a hard time going down the stairs, having to take a break half way down. He couldn't bring himself to lay down either- it looked like it hurt him too much too lay all the way down! And when Hubby tried to force him down, he yelped in pain!!! As he always does when he's not feeling good, he came straight to me and expected me to fix it for him while looking at me with those pathetic puppy dog eyes like you see in the cartoons. Since he has a history of intestinal issues I immediately thought the worst. Last time that happened I waited too long and he lost a lot of weight and became extremely dehydrated. Not wanting it to get to that point this time, I called a vet the next morning to see if i could get him an appointment. Since we just moved here, we don't really have a vet set up for him. But thank goodness a neighbor had recommended a vet close by and i decided to give them a try. They couldn't find anything wrong with him! But, due to his history they went ahead and gave me something that helps the stomach and intestines move along. I'm not really sure what the problem was, but he is doing great now! Hubby and I think he pulled a muscle in his hips or back somewhere while out playing with Uncle Jason. He is good as new now, sleeping away! =)

Finally, one of my best-est friends from Kentucky came to visit us over the weekend for a G. Love and Special Sauce concert in Little 5 Points. She drove all the way down here only to find out the concert was SOLD OUT and we hadn't bought tickets yet!! Hubby convinced us to go down there anyway and see if we could scalp some tickets at a reasonable price. It didn't look good at first as they were charging double the original prices, but thanks to Hubby's persistence, we scored some tickets for a great deal right before G Love took the stage!!! (Sorry Leila, I know I said I wouldn't post any pictures of you, but they were just way too good!! =))

Waiting outside for tickets
Finally made in, and didn't miss any of the show!!
We were really close! Great venue!
We had such a blast at the show! I highly recommend G. Love if you ever get the change to see him live!

Saturday night, we met up with the small group at one of the best Mexican restaurants in Atlanta, Nuevo Laredo Cantina. Oh oh my gosh, it was AWESOME. Its been named best of Atlanta several years in a row. We highly recommend it! Mom and Dad, we'll definitely be going there next time you all visit! =)
So it turned out to be a great ending to a pretty average week!!

Yikes, sorry this turned into a pretty long post... I'm going to try and post more during the week so I don't write novels at the end!! Sheesh- sorry about that. Thanks for bearing with me through it! Hahah Hope you all had an awesome week too! Stay tuned for this week's craft...  I'll post more about it tomorrow- its totally worth coming back for! I am pretty proud of it! =) Until next time...
xoxo
-Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment